Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting a set of databasees for public use

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbodger

Programmer
Apr 23, 2007
US
I have a set of four databases that I have cleaned of any private data that I now have to make available to those that want to use it. However, I want to make sure that the data I removed is not recoverable via the log files. For the most part I truncated the tables, but there where a few where I just had to delete records. What is the best way to go about making sure this is truly cleaned up?

wb

Change the database to simple recovery mode. Checkpoing the database. Shrink the transaction log. Use a loop to create a table then delete the table over and over. Monitor which VLFs are in use to ensure that you overwrite all of the VLFs in the database. Here's a loop that you can use.

Code:
while 1=1
begin
    create table t1 (c1 int)
end

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

I had changed it to Simple Recovery mode before making any changes, I will now go thru the rest of the process, thx!

wb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back