Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export vs Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

apollo11

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
Which is faster?

Export Data or Import Data through DTS

In other words, which is faster to run? Export Data option from Enterprise manager on the source db machine or Import Data option on the destination machine?

There are so many factors involved - speed of each server, network speed, network traffic, amount of data to move, load on each server, etc. It's difficult to say which runs faster. I haven't done any timing.

Regardless of where the process is started, one server will export data and the other will import. So SQL Server on each machine will do essentially the same amount of work either way.

You might notice a difference in performance when the DTS package runs on the import or the export server. I suspect this performance difference could be significant if a lot of transformations are performed. On straight BULK copy operations, I don't think you'll see much difference. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back