Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Voicemail Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLogan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2003
US
I've recently been asked by our company controller to export a voicemail message for preservation purposes. Until I can determine if this is possible, I've altered his COS so that his VM is never purged.

Is it possible to export VM and convert to a format that is easily playable using a common Windows based media player? I can use the Norstar Mailbox Manager utility to upload/download greetings and etc. however, I can't find a utility that allows you to access to actual messages. I can telnet into the NAM and locate where I believe voicemail is stored by default - C:\ST\M###.BOX (where ### is replaced by individual mailbox extensions). Each folder contains a single file - MBXPROF.40. Does this file contain the actual messages? Is there a media player that can read the *.40 file type? Or is there a utility that can convert this to a more common audio file?

My NAM is running software release 4.0.04C.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave Logan
DLogan@OmegaHealthcare.com

You can get Unified messageing for the Call Pilots or Desktop Messageing for the Nams. This puts the message in your mailbox and in a folder in outlook that you can listen to on your computer speakers.From there you can convert it into a wav file.

Cook1082 - Thanks for your response. I've been trying to get Desktop Messaging to work on my Windows XP/Outlook 2003 client. I was able to add the Nortel Messaging MAPI to Outlook and added the Nortel AddressBook, but it doesn't appear any of the voicemail messages are being delievered to my Inbox. Am I missing some key configuration piece? Are you aware of some detailed documentation I can refer to in order to get desktop messaging to work properly?

Thanks,

Dave Logan

I bet you have a Nam and I was never good with the Messaging on that.Have you changed your IP address in the NAM so you can put it on your network.There is a process you need to go thru to add it.

Yes I have a NAM (sw ver.4.0.04C). I have it setup on my network and can telnet into the NAM. I can navigate the OS/2 file structure. I can't locate any documentation outlining any additional required setup. From my desktop I can sucessfully use the Norstar Voice Mail Manager, the Norstar Mailbox Manager, and the Norstar Operator Manager - which are all dependant on the NAM being accessed through the network. Any ideas as to what I'm missing yet?

The main thing is have you entered seat licences.You need one for each user.

I read about the seat licenses in the Desktop Accessories Client Software Installation guide. It indicates that "The Norstar Voice Mail system comes with two Norstar Voice Mail Desktop Messaging seat licenses that have been factory enabled." I figured since I was initially trying to test this out on my account only - that would be adequate. Do you readily know where I can verify these factory installed licenses are enabled?

Thanks.

Dave Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back