Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

export VFP data to MSSQL server 2000 regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallpotato

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2002
HK
Dear All,

I need to extract data from FPW26 tables & VFP5 tables and import into MS SQL server 2000 in a regular basis. The available tools are VFP5 & VB6. I'm considering to do it in the following ways :

(A) using VFP5 to extract the foxpro data and then insert the results into MS SQL server 2000
(B) using VB6 to extract the foxpro data and then insert the results into MS SQL server 2000
(C) using VPF5 to extract the foxpro data into XML files and then import these files into MS SQL server 2000

I prefer the the method C but I can't find the way to convert VFP5 table to XML files with VFP5.

What's your comments? Which way is more efficiency? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
smallpotato

While there is some XML capability in VFP 6.0, it's much better in 7.0.

With only VFP 5.0, you'll either need to write a lot of code to consider C, or you'll need to use A or B.

Rick

You might want to consider D: Export from VFP5 into CSV and import THAT into SqlServer... It depends on your data: If your data is a big, flat table, you don't need the fancy XML... it'll actually bloat your data and make the whole process slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back