Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export usernames/passwords for a format

Status
Not open for further replies.

meby

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2003
I'm about to format our Windows Server 2003 box and I need to know if there is an easy way to save the usernames/passwords that are used to connect to the server. It's a stand alone server not on active directory.

I'll also need to know where to import the list. I've found a place in users that allows me to export a list but there is no import option and the list only has usernames on it.

It is not a domain controller either. It's just a stand alone server on our network.

If it isn't a domain member then you should have been documenting the usernames and passwords as you created them.

So that's a no then. I try not to keep lists of username/passwords for security reasons.

You've already found a way to dump a list of users. There is no native tool to list passwords. Remember, even in user administration, you can reset a password but not view it.

You said you are reformatting and reinstalling the server. Even if your recreate the usernames, that will not recreate any file security you had set up before.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

If it is a domain member, your DR plan is that if the server fails, you have AD.
Since it is not a domain member, what is your DR plan?

I use password manager to retain all usernames and passwords for our non domain joined machines as part of our PCI compliance policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back