Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to .txt - Not wide enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halliarse

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2007
GB
SAP - Crystal Reports XI

Hi

I'm new to this version of Crystal Reports and I'm having issues with the following;

I have designed my report and want to export it to .txt
I have set characters per inch to 16 and the number of lines per page to zero.

Unfortunately the entire data string on some records does not export. It appears to have set a limit of 258 characters.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of characters per record you can extract or how I can widen my export?

Many thanks

Steve

I believe that XI still had that limit. Crystal 2008 and higher does not.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Thanks Hilfy

Apologies but I should have said CR 2011 not XI, which based on what you said that 2008 onwards does not have that limit, how do I extend the width to incorporate the full data set?

Kind regards

Steve

Try making your number of characters per inch larger for the text export. You could also try changing your paper size and making it landscape so that it is wider - sometimes that will make a difference with the export.

Are you adding commas and making this a .csv or are you doing a fixed width export?

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

I already have it as landscape and the CPI is set at 16 with 0 pagenation.

The data is pipe delimited

If the data is pipe delimited, you might want to try this instead of exporting as text:

1. In the Page Setup, turn on No Printer and Dissociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Paper Size. Also, set the page size to User Defined and make it fairly wide.
2. Place all of your fields on the report in the order that you want them to be in the output.
3. Export to CSV. Set the Separator to a pipe, if you're not putting quotes around the strings, delete the quotes from the Delimiter. You should also play with the other options to make sure that you get what you're looking for in the file. Set the export file name to something other than .csv.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back