Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to Excel, then illegal operation when printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyu

Programmer
Nov 21, 2000
CA
1) Schedule a report to run on Seagate Info.
2) Export the report into Excel.
3) When trying to print from Excel, receive "Illegal Operation" message.
* User has Windows 95, Seagate Info 7.
* Printing to an HP printer.

When I try and print the exact same Excel file on my Windows 95 and 2000 machine, it prints fine. No errors. Any ideas, however vague? Looking for help!

If you save it in Excel, close and reopen it, does it still error on that PC?

Does the size of the spreadsheet matter?
Does the PC that works have INFO installed?
Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

1) Yes, the error still appears if we close and re-open the file.
2) No, the size of the spreadsheet does not matter. The error is just occuring on this report however. Other reports exported to Excel work ok. Just not this one
3) Both PC's have Seagate INFO 7.0 installed.

Someone may know exactly what this is, but I would start deleting objects from the report until the problem stops, to identify the cause. Starting with anything unique about this report. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

Anyone else have any feedback?

I had a very similar problem using Info 7 and exporting to Excel. We were never able to figure out exactly what was going on, but we were able to get around it by checking the "No Printer" option in the File|Printer Setup menu before running and exporting the report. We thought it might be when a Crystal report has a default printer set, and someone tries to print on a computer with a different default printer using Excel, it gives the error. We now design all of our reports that get exported to Excel with the "No Printer" option checked, and the problem has gone away.

Upgrading from Seagate Info 7.0 to 7.5 appears to have resolved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back