Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodie

MIS
May 18, 2001
US
I want to export a report created in Crystal Reports to Microsoft Access. I believe the way to do it is Export....ODBC ?. I am not sure exactly what i am supposed to pick and where it is exporting and saving the report (since I am not allowed to pick a destination).
Please help.
Also, I have 2 subreports within my main report. Is this report going to export to access correctly?
Thanks
Jodie

Exporting to ODBC will create a NEW table, and the results are dependent upon your report layout.

I haven't tried exporting subreports to ODBC, but it seems possible if the layout is correct.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that ODBC is not the right way to export to Access. Ok, then how should I do it?
If it does create a new table...how do I open it up and see the contents in Access?
I have never done this before and don't know how to do it or what to expect in Access so please explain step by step in detail.

Thanks

I have Ver 6.0 of Crystal and there is no ODBC - Access option while exporting. Does that mean there is no way to export to Access from Version 6?
thanks

Hi Jodie

I have Crystal ver. 7 and when I select "Disk File" as the destination, the "Format" list includes all of the ODBC data sources that are on my PC e.g. ODBC Access 97, ODBC Foxpro, etc.

When I select ODBC Access 97 it prompts me for an Access file name and I selected an Access database file with no tables in (which I had created previously). Crystal prompted me for a table name to create (it suggested CREXPORT) and then exported the records.

A simple report exported ok, a more complex one didn't. [ponder] Don't you just love computers?

Hope this helps.

Daren

You would have to have an existing entry in your ODBC list to export to. You can use the generic 'ODBC MS Access" which CR should have added. Make sure that you suppress everything but the section that has the data you want for each record.

The oldest versions of CR (I don't remember where it changed) gives useless fields names in the table, but currently they are fairly usable. However, you have to have an existing MDB and you can't overwrite a table with the export. It has to be new or you have delete the old one first. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back