Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Personal Site to readable file SP2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmod

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
US
I have been asked by mgmt to export users sites to a flat file with any of the docs they have uploaded to their site to be available. They want this done prior to the user account removal when someone leaves the company as they are afraid that if the site gets removed some critical document might disappear. Is there any way to natively do this in SharePoint 2007 and if not is there an inexpensive solution to be able to do this?

1. you can always get the data from a backup.
2. check the site trashcan.
3. if you are a farm admin, you can gain access to their site, and do what you want.
4. create a powershell script to pull the data from the libraries.

Thanks ehaze for the response. Unfortunately we do not retain the backups forever but mgmt wants the data to be available forever. Now I am fairly new to SharePoint but I think the fear is that once a users account is deleted the site disappears as well, is this correct? I would love to use a powershell script to pull the data but so far I have found that SharePoint 2007 is not very powershell friendly. Have you been able to do this in 2007 SharePoint environment?

I haven't messed with SP2007 in a couple years, sorry.

Some PowerShell 101:

Once a user is no longer 'active' in Active Directory, SharePoint sees this as a flag to purge the users MySite. The users manager should receive an email alerting them of the scheduled purge. At this point, the manager is the owner of the site.

If you know that someone will be let go, you could always go in and make yourself an owner, then do the following:
Open the Shared Docs library in explorer view.
Navigate up one level.
Copy all the site data to a different location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back