Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htrawoh

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
GB
When I export or copy to an Excel file only 16,384 records are copied. Since the excel limit is 65K rows what is going on?

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

John

john,

try to export it using .CSV intead of .xls

Omr:)
Philippines

John,

This limit applies only in VFP 7.0 and below. In later versions, you can export the full 64K rows.

For what it's worth, the reasons are historical. When the export and COPY TO commands were originally created, Excel has a limit of 16K rows. Microsoft never got round to updating the commands for later versions of Excel.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Thanks for the info.

CSV copies all the records. So it looks like I have to copy to as a CSV then automate Excel to import it and save it as an XLS.

Wonderful

John

You may find faq184-4704 Export a Formatted Table to Excel using HTML very helpful as the Excel file starts out looking 'nice'.

Brian

just to add an issue, the only problem i encounter when exporting a DBF to CSV is that, if the DBF contains records with charater field(s) having data of this format 99E999 (where "9" represents any number), they will be converted to exponential notation (a numeric) format in CSV. what i did to avoid this was i added an "X" as a suffix in the original data in DBF. that way, the data won't be interpreted as an exponential notations. i just removed it in CSV by using Excel's MID() function.

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back