Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export from Excel to Access DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeth6

Programmer
Nov 6, 2003
US
Good Morning,

I have an Access 2000 Database that is the backend for a VB.Net application. The scenario is this, that I have users that fill out an Excel 2003 spreadsheet of their daily calls and that spreadsheet automatically calculates a series of totals. Those totals are now manually entered into the database via the VB.Net application. I would like to add a button in Excel to automatically export those totals to the database so that the manual entry can be automated.

I have not done much with Excel macros/queries and wondered if this is possible. Everything I see about exporting is from the Access to Excel side.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

MBeth6

Excel can save data into database formats such as .dbf or .csv. However, the data must still be brought into your Access database. Excel will not place the resulting data file inside of a database file. That is like asking Word to transfer a single page into an existing WordPerfect file.

You are better off Importing into Access than trying to Export from Excel. The result is that the data is placed into your database file when completed.

From Access:
File, Get External, Import. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

Have a look at Recordset (either DAO or ADODB).

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back