Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export data from an excel sheet to a text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornadoproggie

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
HEy I would be grateful if somebody could help me. I have to feed in data to a mySQL database on my host server. MY client has given me the data in an excel sheet. Is there any way to export this data into a text file by specifying the row and column delimiters. I need it in this format cos the database can take data frm a formatted text file.

File>Save AS>(change extension to CVS or TXT accordingly)>SAVE (button)

I am jumping into this thread because I am having all sorts of difficulties with this seemingly, simple process.
I wish to save an Excel Worksheet to a comma delimited text file with Double quotes around each record.

I have attempted what was described above .... selected CSV, tried TXT (MS-DOS), etc ...

I get questions about format not supported, do you wish to keep format, re-save in different excel format, ... it asked me if I wish to save it twice ... and finally, the final file does not have double quotes around all of the fields ... Only puts them there if the field contains a comma ....

So, the bottom line is that I am not finding it to be as simple as you might think. Anyone have some insight into why this seems so difficult ?

Don
dond@csrinc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back