Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export cross tab data into Excel and headers Does not show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredong

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2001
US

I have a custom crystal reports with cross tab data and after I exported into Excel the header does not show. Please advise. Thanks.

Try applying the latest patch for Crystal Reports.

If that fails, try posting some specifics about your environment, such as version, database, which Excel format you're exporting to, etc.

-k

Since I have multiple headers I don't think it is going to work for me because the article said the workaround will not work if I have multiple column headers.

By the way, do you know how to show the duplicate vendor rows on the 1st grouping which ties into the second 2nd grouping after exporting to the excel files; Below is the example. Bear in mind this is the crosstab

Default Export look
---------------------
Group 1(vendor) Group2(retailers) Jan

ABC store 100.00
Pepsi DEF store 200.00
GHI store 300.00
Total 600.00

Want to show on same vendor on the retailers after the export
----------------------------------------------

Pepsi ABC store 100.00
Pepsi DEF store 200.00
Pepsi GHI store 300.00
Total 600.00

Thanks.

Regarding your second issue, try concatenating the vendor and retailers field and use that formula as your row in the crosstab.

-LB

After I created a formula and concated it does not appear in the Format Cross tab available field for me to pick. This is what I did

create formual name @Rowsgroup I tried both and it did not show either

"{sp_GAIN;1.Salesperson}" & "{sp_GAIN;1.Vendor}" & "{sp_GAIN;1.Retailers}"

"{sp_GAIN;1.Salesperson}" + "{sp_GAIN;1.Vendor}" + "{sp_GAIN;1.Retailers}"

Please advise thanks.

Remove all quotes and the formula should appear for use in the crosstab.

-LB

I removed the quotes and it did show the formula @Rowsgroup . However, after I removed the the 3 rows in the format cross tab and add @Rowsgroup formula and hit Ok it generated a CRW32.exe error and shut down crystal report instantly. Any ideas?

I can't recreate this error. A concatenation of fields works as a row field when I try it. Maybe it was just a one-time glitch. I would try it again.

Also, you might try laying out your fields in the details section and then adding the formula field to see if that provides any clarification.

I really don't see why the concatenation wouldn't work if the crosstab is working with the same three individual fields as rows.

-LB

I tried your method by placing those concated fields on the Detail sections and follow by adding the fomula in the format crosstab rows and I still get the error. I even try adding the formula on the Detail section and it still did not work.

If you lay out the individual row fields (not the formula) and the column field and the summary field in the detail section, what do your results look like?

I'm guessing that maybe the field you are summarizing is already summarized in the stored procedure to a higher level than you would see with the concatenation--although I'm not sure why the three fields would work as separate rows in the crosstab. Did the results make sense in your original crosstab?

-LB

Hi lbass,
I have 3 groups there are group in order 1st Salesperson, 2nd Vendor, 3rd Retailer and has a summrized field with the totalsale in the cross tab and on the Column fields I have the @month that will show six months of totalsale by each group. I placed these 3 group fields on the Detail sections as you told me and then removed the fields Salesperson, Vendor, Retailer from the crosstab rows and replaced it with the @Rowsgroup formula and I still get the errors.

Hi synapsevampire,
I will try to apply the service pack and let you know?By the way I am on 8.0 enterprise version.

Putting the fields in the details section is only for investigating the problem--it is not a cure for anything. What I meant was, please show us a sample of what the results look like in the detail section when you lay out the fields there. Also, if you then add the concatenated formula to the details section does the program crash? Or if there is an error message what is it?

-LB

Ok, this is what I did as what you said first I placed all the the 3 fields in the detail sections and ran the preview with no problems and follow by I placed the @Rowsgroup formula on the detail section and ran the preview there is no problems too and I did see the results with the 3 fields concatenated. However, it does not work on the cross tab row.

What happens if you add the sales amount figure to the details section? What happens if you then add the month formula? There isn't a technical reason for the concatenation formula not to work in the crosstab--at least that I can think of, so my guess is that it must have to do with the summary values returned by the stored procedure. Again, this is just a guess. I'm stumped, and don't think I can offer much more in the way of a solution.

-LB

I think I finally got it. Instead of using concate I added another Retailers row after the vendors in the crosstab format and on the customize style suppress total on the retailers .For example,

Salesperson
Retailers
Vendors
Retailers --> suppress total

As for my first problem on the export header. It can be fixed by not using the specified order especially there is a string and if you change it to Ascending order or decending order then export it in extended excel format that will fixed the problem.

Thank you all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back