Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export a field into individual files

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCL2007

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2007
US
Hello,
I received an odd request - was wondering if anyone had come across something like this and how they may have approached it using Crystal. The request is to export the values of a field, say part descriptions, into individual pdf files titled with the value of the part description field..Probably have about 500 records, so they are looking at 500 individual filenames named on the part description value... Anyone ever do anything like this using Crystal?

Hi,

Very odd and questionable. Here are the questions:

1) What is the purpose of 500+ files?

2) A part description is not necessarily unique, as a part ID should be nor is a part description, as a practice, edited by the I/O interface. So what happens when you have more than one "NUT"?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Take a look at Millet's Software's VisualCUT here. It is a while since I have used it but I am pretty confident it will achieve what you want. It has the ability to "burst" the report output into separate files based on groups, and name those files based on formulas in the report. There are other 3rd party products that will do it but VisualCUT is the only one I have used and can recommend. Ken Hamady has a list of 3rd party products on his website here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back