Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploring Pc's on Network Via \\C$ command

Status
Not open for further replies.

doyle71

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
Is there a way to eliminate the ability to browse peoples c drive via the \\computername\c$ command on clients running Windows 2000 or Windows XP

Stop the hidden sharing of c:. But I suppose this must be done per workstation.

This has been answered before in these forums - you need to change a registry setting somewhere (but can't remember where of course! - searching the forums may find it), which allows you to remove the default shares (C$ etc) without 2k automatically replacing them on next reboot.
PS. You do know you need to know administrator password of the machines concerned to access these shares?

In The Registry under :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parametersset the AutoShareWks = 0
Type: REG_DWORD

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Well, yes and no. Maybe.

Before we get into that, insert the standard editing registry = bad, might blow up computer, own risk, etc etc etc. If your not familiar with that line, don't even think about trying this.

The AutoShareWks value does nothing on W2K, and I would assume the same applies to XP, but not sure. It was an NT thing. The value you need to work with is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\AutoShareServer as REG_DWORD = O

That is a number 0 not uppercase o.

Both keys are required for NT, but the Wks key was eliminated. W2K and XP do not have the AutoShareServer these entries by default, so you will probably have to add them (as opposed to changing a value that is already there.) If I remeber correctly, you have to delete the default shares manually, they don't go away, but I'm not sure. I do know that the registry change does not delete the shares, it just keeps them from being recreated.

Another path on the same subject, I don't think it is a real good idea to do this as some software depends upon the shares being there. I would think that it would be much better to revoke the administrative rights for all your users. That is a good idea in general, anyway. I don't even log onto my own machine with admin rights unless I really have to. Keeps me from doing stupid stuff without knowing I'm doing stupid stuff. Best to be informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back