Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer won't appear after logging into NT workstation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdo2

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
I have a NT workstation that shows a blank screen whenever I login. I can use the same login on any other machine. How do I get the explorer to show up again?

Maybe the following key has been set in the registry :
Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Name: NoDesktop
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

Try log on as administrator and run regedt32.

I tried to login as Administrator and have discovered that only one account can successfully bring up the explorer and that is my personal account. I looked in the registry and didn't see anything called NoDesktop in the directory you specified even though I was hoping that would be it! I did notice that the default user and my login user have different things in the explorer folder. Any idea where I could learn more about this part of the registry?

Thanks.

Late reply (sorry) : Maybe Woram's book on the registry
has some information. And maybe, if the System Event Log
is running during the logon, a later inspection may reveal
if anything is missing (?)

and , of course , explorer.exe has been set in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

Hey there, thanks for your help. I tried everything you suggested to no avail but I finally found the problem!! It was a permissions problem on my C: drive. I don't know if you've seen it but there is a great web site out there with win NT and 2000 tips.
Search for tip 0246 - that's the one that explains the blank desktop problem in this case.
If you think about it though, it's kinda cool that only my login could get in...I might want to remember that trick if I ever need to use it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back