Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXPLORER not refreshing correctly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMWiseGuy

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
US
This problem has been nagging me for a while and I have yet to find something to correct it. If I have an EXPLORER session open with the Folders list and a change is made either from within the EXPLORER session or outside it, sometimes the refresh does not reflect the changes!

For instance, I had a CD in and the label/files show up fine in EXPLORER. I right clicked on the CD drive, selected Eject and removed the CD. I hit F5 and also View/Refresh but the CD label still shows on the Folders list!

This has happened with other things too; mostly with creating new folders and/or deleting folders. The changes don't get reflected on a refresh and the only way to get the right view is to close Explorer and start a new session.

If I click on one of the folders that was deleted, I get an error saying the folder is not there. If I close/open a parent folder of the new folder, I will see it in the files listing (right side) and if I open the new folder, it will show up on the folders view (left side).

This only happens once in a while too. It is almost as if some setting or 'cache' of some type is hosed at some point.

Anyone have any ideas? JSV

Hi,
Sorry, No answer to your problem but your not alone. Happens to me constantly. The only thing I can do is close explorer and re-open it.

I will try to test something with you 2 , OK ?
Go to the registry . ( start menu -> run > regedit )
Under this key :
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics]
ensure that these 2 keys with these 2 values :
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"

check and reply Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

Hello there,
same problem here,
have checked out these keyvalues. These are set to the same values. Kurtie

Under This key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update

make UpdateMode = 0

and thn restart ,, and test again. Eng.Mohamed Farid
Cisco Certified Network Associated ,,
Building Cisco Remote Access Network Certified ,,
Routing Cisoc Networks Certified ,,
Switching Networks Cisco Certified ,,

My SHELL ICON settings are set to 16/32 and the UpdateMode is set to 1. If I set UpdateMode to 0, that effectively will disable the auto-update all together, won't it? JSV

Doh! Wrong key - appears that one has to do with the policy set used at login. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. JSV

Nope, no dice. The UpdateMode change didn't affect anything. Had a CD in, took it out and waited a few seconds to see if Explorer would update but it didn't. Hit F5 and it still shows the label on the CD drive. I have heard a few others here are having the same problem and they too have been living with it. I'd rather fix it! Thanks for the ideas to try though. Any others are welcome. JSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back