Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer Illigal Operation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT2000

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
RU
I have a few users in my company who use W98, they constantly get error messages when using Internet Explorer, or Word, or Excel and then try to use the Start button. The message that is given says the following;

"This program has performed an illigal operation and will be shut down."
It also says that "Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in module (unknown) at 0000:0178ff900"

This is important because then the computer must be restarted for them to continue working. If anyone has ha this problem and solved it some how, please share! Thanx for the help, this site has proven itself over and over again!
Mike

Try un-install the office suite, then run the IE 5 repair wizard (if they have ie 5. if not, install it) This is found in the ADD/REMOVE programs control panel. Highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer, and choose ADD/REMOVE, then choose the REPAIR option. If there is no repair option, upgrade IE. after the repair is complete, reinstall Office. Since explorer.exe and IE are virtually the same thing, this will "reinstall" explorer.exe for you. Also try running Nortons WinDoctor. It is part of Nortons System works. On a clean install of win98, WinDoctor finds anywere from 100-200+ errors in the registry, etc.

hey, if its that good. how 'bout a little magenta star action =)

you got it my friend. I was having a little javascript problem earlier and couldn't open the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back