Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer has caused an error in shell32.dll. Explorer will now close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanrah

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
When I go to start then programs from the start button I get this error. (explorer has caused an error in shell32.dll. explorer will now close.) I tried reinstalling windows from the cabs but that did not work. Do i need to Format and start over? Also cannot open the programs from windows explorer.(get same error).

Greg Robert

Shell32.dll is simply a library of icons. If the file (or it's contents) are corrupt, the error occurs.
Run SFC and extract it from your windows CD, or if this is win95, you can manually extract it, or copy it from another win95 machine. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim, I beg to differ with that...just an icon library

Shell32.dll is probably the most important dll on any Win9x machine other than kernel32.dll. It contains a huge amount of functions.

The shell is the shell that you see. Windows is the shell.

It contains copy, move and create shortcut, rename, delete file operations.
Map network, open with...

It contains the Views you see in Explorer (Large Icons, Small Icons, List, Details.

Customize this Folder, Show Icons, Arrange Icons

View As Web Page, Customize my Desktop, Update Now

Sorting by Name, Type, Size, Date

Drive Options, Format, Disconnect, Eject

Printing...Capture Printer Port, End Capture, Pause Printing, Set as De&fault, Use Printer Offline, Purge Print Documents

Dialog boxes include the Run box, Missing Shortcut, Hard Disk is Full, Confirm File Deletion, Folder Deleteion, Multiple file deletion, Confirm File Replace, Confirm Move, Confirm File Rename, Shortcut Properties, General file Properties, Version info, Confige Recycle Bin, the Find Files dialog box, Shutdown Windows dialog box,

Basically all Windows Explorer elements and printing elements.

Try the results of this search, many posibilities.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back