Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer generating error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

odat1989

Technical User
Mar 26, 2001
US
Running W2K on a clone machine with a 1.2 MB Athlon processor and 512 MB of RAM. Over the last few days I have received this error message several times and have had to reboot:

"Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An Error Log has been created."

I suspect the problem is with the file Explorer.exe itself but would welcome any thoughts regarding the nature of the problem and it's cure.

TIA.

Bob Collister

Hi...
I have had this problem aswell.
The problem is that there is a corrupt file.
Find out what the last programme you installed.
Then get rid of it.(DELETE)
If that doesn't work...
Uninstall all programmes, and reinstall them one by one to find out which one is corrupt.
It worked for me.
Good Luck!

I have the same problem, yet it started when I had not recently installed programs........ I was just moving unimportant files around on my desktop.

i STRONGLY suspect that this is to do with the latest windows update.
i cannot goto control panel, or my computer, or run windows explorer without the exlporer.exe has generated errors etc.
This has really pee'd me off.
I havent installed anything except to do a windows update.
Now i cant goto ie, or uninstall anything (as safe mode is just the same)
Any suggestions welcome.

I have a similar issue .. I have done both Windows Update as well as install some programs from CNET. But my current programs run fine, despite the error.
Only I lose the program icons from the System tray.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently this can begin to happen for a variety of reasons.

I wasted a lot of time uninstalling/disabling, one by one, every application/device/service that I thought I safely could and still have a functioning machine. The Explorer problem still exists.

I ended up wiping the drive and re-installing from the clone CDs. Then only installed software and devices that the user needed right away. Explorer has been running fine so far. I've asked the user to document any software/hardware changes that he makes so that I can track this thing down. This has happened to this user before so I fully expect the problem to return.

Here's some other links that may solve your problem. None of them helped my situation but may help yours.

This one might assist in troubleshooting:

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back