Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explorer.exe locks .mod files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpACH

Technical User
Nov 9, 2006
CA
Hello,

Some of our users are experiencing a problem where they can't edit plaintext files with the .mod extension. They can create the file fine, but once they close it and re-open it, they can't save any edits.

Using process explorer, we were able to close the file handle in explorer which allows them to save changes. However, once they open it again, the problem re-occurs.

The problem is not profile or machine specific.

This is running Vista SP1

The MOD extension is usually used for MPEG2 video clips or "MIDI-like" Amiga MOD music files. Explorer might try extracting a thumbnail, but I'm not sure why it would hold a lock on such a file.

I just tried creating and saving one from Notepad, and then reopened, altered, and saved the changes. No problems here (Vista SP2). Do you have any 3rd party products installed that override the default registration? It is registered to Windows Media Player here.

The easiest way to avoid colliding with registered file types is to use more appropriate extensions.

Hello,

They're doing Document Type Definition, so they don't have that much of a choice when choosing the file type. Currently the .mod file type is associated with the program they use (can't remember).

I'll try to get a hold of a base image to see if it has the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back