Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer.exe Dr. Watson at login for administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemtntn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
NTWksta/NTSvr 4.0
Suddenly, when I log in with the default administrator account at various machines, including NT Wksta & Servers,
Explorer.exe crashes with a DrWatson Access Violation. The same thing happens with TaskMgr, New Task.
I tried replacing explorer.exe with the expanded CD file, I tried reapplying Service Pack 5, I disabled the login script, I tried wiping out the Administrator local profile....(Its not using a roaming profile)
Still- same explorer.exe error. It only happens with this account, but on certain machines, it doesn't happen, it logs in fine. It started today, I can't think of what changed...if its happening on multiple machines, then it has to be something that the account is bringing with it.......Any ideas?
WhiteMtntn

Check to see what is in the registry and remove anything that shouldn't be their:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run\*.*

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run\*.*

And clean-up:
Start - Programs - Startup

Finally check what Processes are Running and stop those that you think shouldn't be their.

Do all this from a workstation.

Ps,
Backup any regsitry keys before experimenting.

Did all that...still-same problem. Can't track it down. Very weird......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back