Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer.exe crashing on terminal servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iconSYS1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2004
US
Hello,
I have two terminal servers, having the same problems on each. On normal users profiles, when they click "control panel" explorer.exe crashes and the restarts. This makes the "control panel" impossible to get to. On the administrator profile, explorer.exe will randomly freeze or hang causing the taskbar and start menu to become non-responsive.
Running SFC /Scannow results in no report, no fix. I've tried rebuilding user profiles and the administrator profile, same results. Using local profiles with redirected My documents and dekstop folders to shared drive.
I've recently installed Office 2010 on each of the terminal servers and am wondering if that may have something to do with it. Without rebuilding both terminal servers, anyone know of a way I could fix this?

Have you compared processes that are being run using the administrative profile in comparison to other profiles. Something maybe holding up explorer.

Can you open control panel in safe mode? If so, boot normaly, stop all unneeded services and processes, and then try control panel. If this works then this might help point you to a process or service that is causing the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back