Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer does not "see" all my drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBartels

Technical User
Nov 30, 2000
US
My OS is Win98 SE.
My computer has three distinct disk drives (c:, d:, and e:) and the CD drive is drive f:.
My c: drive "died" and I replaced it with the c: drive from another computer.
Although the system knows there are three disk drives, and the CD drive, drives e: and f: (CD) are not shown in Windows Explorer.
Everything shows up in Device Manager, but only c: d: and e: are assigned. How do I assign drive letters e: and f: so explorer sees these drives? The "current drive letter assignment" area for the CD drive is grayed-out.
Is there a way to fix this with the registry?
I tried to have the system "find new hardware". I removed the drives via Device Manager, and disconnected the power to those drives.
The system hung on bootup. I do not want to make any changes to the BIOS setup.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

on the initial boot-up before the Windows splash screen, do you see the computer recognising that it has all these different hard drives and CD-ROM?

If it doesn't check that all the leads are connected properly between the hard drives.

And all the jumpers on the drives.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Yes -- the computer knows all the drives are there during startup- it's just Windows Explorer that isn't aware of drives e: and f:.
Device Manager knows they are there (although the CD-ROM does not have a drive letter assigned to it.)
The computer the "new" drive c: came from had one disk drive and a CD-ROM drive, which may explain why although the current configuration has four drives, Windows Explorer only sees two.

Ahh, now I see what your problem is. You need to install the Chipset drivers for this new Motherboard. Find out who makes the chipset (Intel,Via,Nvidia,Sis) and download the correct driver. Then Windows will see all your drives.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back