Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer caused a page fault 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaso11

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
P.C slowed up then froze.Shut down using Ctrl Alt delete then on restart asked for Win98SE serial number looked a little odd Win 95ish if you know what I mean. Never seen it before tried restart a couple of times same window.
Found the serial number put it in now get Win 98 screen logon to network window then get Explorer has caused an invalid page fault then left with blank desktop and mouse cursor Used boot floppy

Thomas

Sorry no edit button! Tried FDISK/MBR and SYS C: reboot no joy. Start in safe mode same window appears. Booted with an anti virus disc and ran scan same result. The P.C cant be seen by the other machines on the network. I have tried to reinstall over the top but install stops aqnd tells me to insert the disc that is already in the drive.
As usual data loss is the concern.

Thomas

Data loss is easy to prevent - just put the drive in another machine as slave and back-up from there.

Then, if you want to continue using machine, I suggest a clean install, as experience tells me trying to troubleshoot a 98 installation in this state can take much longer than starting fresh - and while you might get it back up, the underlying problem may still be there and resurface later. Also, if clean install still doesn't work, you'll than know you've developed a hardware problem.

If you do want to carry on troubleshooting, some questions/suggestions

- Had you added removed any hardware/software prior to problem?
- you've tried fdisk /mbr and sys C:. What about scandisk and scanreg /restore (to restore registry to date prior to problem - if still available).

Thanks for your input Wolluf. Scandisk runs whenever this machine isnt shut down correctly. No faults lost chains etc. Scanreg / restore? Not sure will have to look into it tommorow. Probably will have to slave it, hadnt installed any new hardware or software so baffled at the moment.

Thomas

Wolluf an enormous sigh of relief. Scanreg/restore which I was to be honest completely unaware of worked like a charm.
Shall have to give you a star.
To anyone else a Microsoft knowledge base article can be found at the url below.

Thomas

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back