Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploding Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordRocks

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
CA
This is probably simple but I'm having trouble figuring it out. I want to take a picture of a balloon and divide it into a number of parts. Then I want to take those individual parts, put them together in After Effects 5.5 and create what looks like the balloon flying into pieces when it blows up as each part flies in a different direction. When I tried it I couldn't figure out how to get each of the pieces lined up without a lot of manually moving them. Is there any advice on how to do this so the pieces are lined up when I import them to the AE timeline? I'd like each piece to be irregular. Also, is there a quick, easy way to divide the picture into a designated number of pieces so that each piece can be put on an individual layer even if they are not irregular? Thanks for any help.
.....Gord

On a new layer draw a guide pattern of your segments. On your balloon layer make a selection of the first segment using the lasso tool and click shift to draw straight lines. Then do LAYER/NEW/LAYER VIA CUT. This will cut away the segment and place it on to a new layer in exactly the same position. Hide this layer and you will see the balloon with one segment missing. Keep doing this with each segment until the original has disappeared. When you reveal all of the layers, the segments will all be perfectly in position.
Dividing up a shape into segments mathematically I think is better done in Illustrator or Freehand and exported from there. ( I don't know how to do it in P/Shop !! )

Thank you, rickwells
I'll give it a try. Appreciate the help.
.....Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back