Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explanation about UMASK and other relations pls... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaaje

Technical User
May 26, 2006
AU
Hi Guys,

I know that my Solaris default umask value is 022 and I can simply change the mode to anything, but the first question is, Is there anyway to change my umask value permanently for my login account ?

second question is,
after I change the files into 775 and I list them, at the end of the files that have changed. they have a star like this :
Code:
test*

do you guys know what that means ?? I never worry about it actually because the content of the file is same, just wondering is there something that I should know about this.

Thx guys

Set your preferred umask value in your login profile.

Usually the star at the end of the file name indicates that the execute bit is set.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV,

thanks for your explanation, but I still don't get about

which file I can change the umask value, because it's not in .profile and there's no login profile file.

Thx

In your .profile add a line setting your umask value.
BTW, man umask

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

that's alright PHV,

I got it,

Thx :)

Usually the * isn't displayed after the filenames unless you use the -F switch to ls. Maybe you have an alias defined for ls that uses this switch?

Annihilannic.

how do I know whether I have alias define Annihilannic ?

I just list "ls", and the * displayed.

Thx

Hi

Use the [tt]alias[/tt] shell built-in command to list the aliases. For example I have this setted :
Code:
[blue]master #[/blue] alias
alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty'
alias ll='ls -l --color=tty'
alias ls='ls --color=tty'

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back