Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expired tapes getting set to read only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caster1

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
CA
I am using Legato 7.1 on a win2k server backing up to a neo2000 auto-changer loaded with SDLT tapes on NDMP mode.
I have found that if a partially filled tape reaches the expiry date for all its save sets it will be set to read only as well as expired.
I have tried to remove the read-only attribute by manually setting them to appendable and that just cause the backup to intermittently fail with out error messages when it got to that tape.
The work around that I have found to work (so far) is to re-label the tapes with the same label as before.
But I am still trying to figure out why this happens and how to either stop it from happening altogether or have Legato reuse the expired tapes regardless of read-only status?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is normal behaviour and you don't need to stop it happening. A read-only volume can still be recycled automatically when it becomes recyclable.

This is expected behaviour.

The reason behind it is that if a volume has expired / is available for recycling, when this is used agin the volume will be over written, therefore you will only ever read the data from the tape, not "Append" anymore data to it, so Legato sets it to read only.

I hope that helps.

Regards
KeefB

[lightsaber]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back