Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expire Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekieMDX

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2004
US
How do you stop a tape from expired ? I was told to use the freeze command. For example a tape is going to expire tonight at 10:00, and we need to do a restore from this tape, we frozen the tape, but someone stated this just freeze the tape not the data, the data will still be overwritten. Is this true?

Please help

I'm not sure about the images becoming expired on a frozen tape. Technically the images could not be overwritten until the tape was unfroze. The images might expire?? In which case you would have to import the tape. I would recommend you use the bpexpdate command with the -d option and specify a new expiration as oppposed to freezing the tape. You can always expire it manually later on after you have restored the info you need. Hopefully someone else can give you some insight on the image expiration on frozen tape (not sure about that). There is also a bpimage command but I have yet to use it??

frozen tapes can/will eventually have their images expired

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

I do not believe that the freeze command will have any effect on the expireing of the images on it. If you read the docs on the freeze and suspend commands it's clear that it does not effect the expire date/time. Use the bpexpdate command as sugested to change the expire date or the images will be lost. Freeze just stops you writing more dated to the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back