Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experts... Remember ADSMPIPE (or how to backup a real Raw Volume??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMunoz

Technical User
Oct 24, 2000
US
Hello all!

I have a major delema with TSM and the definition of RAW. It seems that TSM 5.1 can backup "images" of a Volume mangagers volumes. Problem is I want to backup the RAW device that contains MANY volumes. (Sum of the part is equal to the whole)

OK.. I was told that Long ago..admspipe can be used to dd Raw volumes into TSM. I have compiled adsmpipe and should be testing today or next week.

Has anyone ever or currently used this and any guess on if it will work with TSM 5.x The API version I found in the readme was like 2.1. Have there been major changed to the API that would cause me headaches? I'm going to test backup and restore before I go down this road, but can anyone offer any other ways to back up my raw disks?

In case your wondering.. I have (64) 36Gb raw disks... or 1705 Volumes carved out.
I know from testing that I can backup the 64 disks MUCH faster then the 1705 volumes...

Thanks
V.

you're not going to get an answer to that one in here :). Suggest you ask the question on the tivoli email listserv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back