Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience with Mac OS-X? and New Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

COBOL

MIS
Jul 2, 2000
Have you had Experience with Mac OS-X? and the New Macs?
How do they compare with competition?

As always, it depends on what you are doing with the computer. I found this amusing , during the wrap up of the RC5 64 cryptology challenge they made this comment.

"Our peak rate of 270,147,024 kkeys/sec is equivalent to 32,504 800MHz Apple PowerBook G4 laptops or 45,998 2GHz AMD Athlon XP machines."

OSX is still a young unix, Apple is releasing security updates frequently as they find holes. It is very microsoftian in that respect, strange to older Mac users who are used to all that being sorted out decades ago. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I am a traditional PC user. Used to do PC Tech Support and Desktop before I got into Development. I started developing on PCs and swore by them. Then I had to build a site for several months on a MAC. I noticed really no big difference. Now, I am working in an all MAC environment and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I started with OS9, but now am using OSX at work and recently (6 months) bought a G4 with OSX as well for home.

I could probably be one of those folks on the commercials..."I switched". Of course, I still have the OPC too! -----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

Like the other two responders above - I am multi-platform. Or I should say I have been multi-platform. All Mac now and I've always found the Mac as the difference between liberals and conservatives, art and banking, suits and shirts, birkenstocks and bally's.

I never much cared for the head to head speed comparisons cause it's all too convoluted for Joe American to comprehend anyway. Intuitive. You sense it. feel it. Bond with it. Cultivate a relaationship with your Mac. Name it. like a ship or your car.

I have always found the file hierarchy much easier to navigate on a Mac - less cryptic and more direct. OS X seems to offer true multitasking and I really enjoy that. Software installs and removals are pretty much a breeze on my Mac side.

Are you contemplating a purchase or just staying on top of the game?

Macgeneral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back