Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience with KVM over IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

emxdad

MIS
Aug 20, 2003
US
Is anyone using HP, ROSE or Avocent KVM over IP solutions? Can you tell me what your experiences have been with any of these products? (configuration, setup, management etc..)

I've used an IP version, as well as a cat5 wired version (they make a few that use a cat5 run, non-network based).

I thought the IP versions were alright, but somewhat annoying setup wise.

I've only used the Avocent models.

Furthermore, I found it easier (and less expensive) to use terminal emulation with VNC.

Thanks for the help.. This solution is very expensive.

You managed the Avocent through software AVWorks, how did this work?

What is the terminal emulation with VNC?

VNC provides a terminal emulation of many operating systems (ie. windows, many UNIX environments, and I'm not sure if they're at the Apple OS's yet).

It's freeware. The inherent disadvantage is that it cannot control the machine until it's completely booted, ie. no direct KVM control, just remote control once the machine is booted and has started the VNC server.

Search for VNC on google.

If you don't need actual KVM control, ie. need to be able to remotely control every aspect to the machine, go with VNC.

Avocent is very easy to manage through amxworks. The only draw backs I have with it is that there is no option to backup the configurations, so if there are any updates, you'll have to re-enter your configuration.PIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back