Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience Please... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatMCS

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US

I'm currently studying VB .net (self-study), but have no real world experience. I am a supervisor in a totally unrelated field. How do I land a job in VB development????

The best two ways open to you are to gain some real world experience by doing a project for your current organization or by volunteering your services to some charity or church organization.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief

I did try that route...but charities around here aren't looking for VB developers. Any other Ideas?

You're a supervisor, right? Aren't there improvements that your department could use?

If you don't have an in house development group perhaps talk with IT management to see if they'll give you the okay to write a small application to be used by your department and go from there...

I might go ahead and try that. There are some improvements that we need, I think the only problem at this point is persuading my boss that we need vb .net. This department is tight w/ money (as with all departments and money), but if I can argue a good case, I might be able to get it.

VB.NET is fairly inexpensive. You may just want to purchase it yourself if you can not get the funding needed from management.

Swi

RoI (Return on Investment), is the key to argueing anything successfully in a technology field. If you can convince them that after putting up an initial cost, they'll see a return, either financially or higher/more effecient production, you've won a major battle in moving forward with the project.

Come at them with a practical point of view, but if you can compile any, put some numbers together to show the cost benefit of what your improvements would do.

Yes...half of IT work is being a politician, at least in my experience.

You can download the SDK for free and use it without an IDE as well. Or you could download the SDK and try a free, alternative IDE such as SharpDevelop.

Yes...half of IT work is being a politician, at least in my experience

AQUIAS:

Are you sure that is just a half?

All the useful training I've ever received was thru self-direction. None of the training I've ever gotten through a company was ever put to use for any length of time.

I would buy a copy of VB.NET and spend a couple of hours each night at home working on a small project -- something like organizing your CD collection, which will give you a good breadth of experience (user interface, database, etc).

Chip H.

BigCat
Let's go back to volunteering as astutely mentioned by SQLSister.

True, non-profit organizations will not be looking for vb programming -- why? Because they will most likely not have a clue on what it is and what it can do for them.

Rather, when seeking volunteer experience, look for providing solutions that involve VB. Example, web pages, vb web access to a database, etc. Also, security, data entry, consolidating subsystems....

A executive director or such will be looking for solutions in what you can do for them, not how they can help you gain experience.

BigCat-

Also, look for user groups in your area. Most major cities have person-to-person mixers, forums, and general get togethers where developers can talk to developers (and not just geek speak, but real mixing and idea sharing). I've found these to not only be enjoyable and a great source of networking, but an excellent source for information and keeping up on trends.

Individuals at these meetings may have that non-profit contact you need for some experience and/or can provide you with a sounding board for questions as you go through your learning process.

Regards,

David

---
David R. Longnecker
Web Developer
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

You are a supervisor of what? People? Do you have to report monthly what your workers have done, overtime or sick leve?

Are you loosing time calculating something looking at a bunch of papers at the end of the week?
Automate it, machine should work, pepole should think (at least how to work less and getting the job done)

Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back