Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expected volume xxx got <null>

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Windows 2000 SP4
Legato Networker for Windows 7.2 Build 172
HP SureStore 4/40 DLT (4 DLT8000 drives)

Rebooted the server today and attempted to connect a 2nd library (IBM). Surestore would not come back online so removed IBM and reconnected Surestore back in original config.

Drives 1 & 2 are fine - I can mount tapes, etc.
Drives 3 & 4 error on mounting drive:
*popup: "Expected volume 'vws###' got 'NULL'"
*monitor: "read open error: drive status is There is no tape in the drive"

The library loads the tape into the drive but then promptly unloads it - at which time the errors occur. If I manually load a tape into drive 3 (by the interface on the library), Legato cannot tell that the tape is in the drive.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? I'm not very familiar with some of the commands that might help ...

Thanks!

I occasionally get this error and variations of it on one of my libraries, usually when any of the drives are replaced.

I would start by using the inquire command to confirm the scsi id's for each tape (although this will most probably be right and Networker will be loading the tape into the right drive). I always start here in case the ids have been rearranged and I need to re run jbconfig.

Also make sure the Windows Removable Service is disabled on the Networker server and any storage nodes if you have any.

Then run the following to

To test your tape drives using the mt command you can load a tape in to one of the drives manually and then run the following command:

mt –f device_name status

This should return the current status of the drive including media loaded.

Other commands are
mt –f device_name offline (to unload a tape)
mt –t device_name rewind (to rewind a tape)

This will test that the OS is communicating with the devices properly, if it is Networker it could be a drive ordering problem.

When I originally got this error I upgraded all of the drivers and firmware on the backup server. The scsi ids changed slightly eg from 13.x.x to 11.x.x. After re running jbconfig everything worked fine.

I have had a variation of this last week, one suggestion was to increase the load and unload sleep times on the library.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

i have the same problem here with NW 7.2.1 on Solaris with a virtual Tape libary connected (EMC DL700)

Case with support is open, without any solution till yet.

Andreas

Removable Storage was enabled from before when library was working. I disabled it, no change.

Ran "inquire" but I don't have anything to use as a frame of reference. It seems that the sequence is out of order, but I don't know how I'd check that for sure:

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin>inquire
Could not start a Removable Storage session (0x00000422).
scsidev@0.0.0:TEAC CD-224E 3.7D|CD-ROM
scsidev@2.1.0:QUANTUM DLT8000 0256|Tape, \\.\Tape0
S/N: CX936P2476
IENN:00E09E6000003289
scsidev@2.2.0:QUANTUM DLT8000 0256|Tape, \\.\Tape1
S/N: PMC23P1894
IENN:00E09E60000C40D9
scsidev@3.3.0:QUANTUM DLT8000 0256|Tape, \\.\Tape3
S/N: RBC49P0247
IENN:00E09E60000DA0E6
scsidev@3.4.0:QUANTUM DLT8000 0256|Tape, \\.\Tape2
S/N: PKB44P0513
IENN:00E09E6000062A12
scsidev@4.0.0:SEAGATE ST373405LC 2203|Disk, \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
S/N: 3EK24ZGF00007304AVBF
scsidev@4.1.0:SEAGATE ST373405LC 2203|Disk, \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
S/N: 3EK0Q3YE00007218K9J3
scsidev@4.6.0:DELL 1x3 U2W SCSI BP 1.21|Processor
scsidev@5.0.0:HP C7200-8000 1720|Autochanger (Jukebox)
S/N: D99421M0019
ATNN:HP C7200-8000 D99421M0

I also cannot run jbconfig again because it says the library is already configured.

I will check the mt command now ... but any thoughts on the information above?

Thx

ah! I manually loaded a tape into the drive that would be designated as \\.\Tape2. I ran mt -f \\.\Tape2 and it said "no media in drive" so I ran mt -f \\.\Tape3 out of curiosity and it showed the info on the media I loaded.

SOOOOO I am thinking \\.\Tape2 and 3 are "switched." Is there an easy way to change this?

could you erase them (in the device manager) and "scan for hardware changes")?

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

I would just go to the jukebox config in Networker and
switch the order of 2 and 3 there. Your order would something
like 0,1,3,2 and networker will be happy.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I had to do this the messy way - Chacalinc was right - Legato told me to remove the hardware from the device manager (both library AND all drives), stop Networker services, scan device manager for new hardware, restart Networker services. Networker found the library and drives (eventually) on its own without needing to run jbconfig. What a mess - every time the server needs to be rebooted it has problems similar to this. Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, Windows will reconfigure the devices at every reboot and you can not switch off this 'feature' like on UNIX. This major pain should be corrected by MS asap.

is this library connected via SCSI or FC? if FC, you should setup persistent binding.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back