Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expansion Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixx1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2006
US
Have an Avaya Merlin Legend system. I need to add additional digital extensions. I have a few open slots. Possibly going to purchase this module:
What all does it take to configure this (besides setting up voicemail)? Do I simply slide it in and the extensions are created automatically or do I need to program the extension numbers? Do I need to order additional PRI #s that match the 4 digit extension #'s for these extensions to be dialed directly?

Attached is a photo of the system.

I can offer up a few general steps, but the Avaya leads would have more suggestions or corrections if I've bobbled something [wink].

Back up the configs. Then power down the carriers. Insert the module into the next available slot. Power up the expansion carrier first and then the main one.

Once the system is running again, you will need to do a Board Renumber so the processor will recognize the new board.

From there, you would build out the voicemail and assign features & functions to the programmable buttons on the new extensions.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Paul (Dexman) has it right. The new extensions will automatically have extension numbers, but they may not be the ones you want (depending on the default numbering scheme of your system). So you will just need to renumber then, one by one, to what you want them to be.

Check with your PRI provider to see how many DID numbers you have, it may be a block of 10 or 20 or 100 or something. You may have numbers that are not currently in use, and you will renumber the extensions to match the last few numbers of the DID's to receive calls.

Thanks Desman and TouchToneTommy. I really appreciate it!!

When you get to that point, just remember board renumber is under the "system" menu, not the "system renumber" menu. It is also helpful to print an extension directory to see what numbers you may have available in your extension range. Its pretty easy to expand, especially since the board is going in the last slot.

Call me anything except "Late For Dinner".
rotfl.gif

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Thanks Guys!!! I appreciate all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back