Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding RAID 5 Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fez

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2000
EU
I have a Proliant 5500 with a Smart array 3200 controller card configured with 2 x 9.1GB (RAID 1) disks and 4 x 18.2GB (RAID 5) disks. OS = NT 4 SP6a.

I am trying to add an additional 3 x 18.2GB drives to the RAID 5 array without having to backup and restore the data, which is currently stored in the array.

Yesterday I added the 3 additional drives and added them to the RAID 5 array using the Compaq array configuration utility. The utility has successfully added the drives into the array.

My question is how do I get NT to see the new available capacity? NT disk administrator does not see that the logical drive has been expanded.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Fez

Windows NT does not support online volume growth (windows 2000 does). I think if you reboot the server disk administrator will show the extra space but you will not be able to incorporate it in the "D:" drive. you will need to partition, format and assign a drive letter to the extended space to utilise it. If you need to have the new space under the "D:" drive you can concatenate the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back