Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding of Drill Down Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakecolman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2006
US
Using Crystal X1 with Oracle 10.

I am modifying a report so that it has sections tagged as "Hide (drill down ok)". When the report is displayed it is collapsed. Is there a way to have the report fully expanded in-place so that it appears as it did before I made the sections drillable? If not, how can a user produce a printed report that shows all the expanded sections? Also, when a specific group is expanded, does the expansion have to appear on its own page?

Thanks.

...Jake

If there's no drill-down solution, a work-round would be to duplicate the drilled-down sections as sections that are suppressed or shown using a parameter.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

You would have to set up a parameter {?Print} and then instead of formatting each group (after the first) to Hide, format them to suppress conditionally (suppress->x+2), using a formula like this (if you had three groups):

//Group #2:
if {?Print} = "No" then
drilldowngrouplevel = 0

//Group #3:
if {?Print} = "No" then
drilldowngrouplevel <= 1

//Details:
if {?Print} = "No" then
drilldowngrouplevel <= 2

The report would then display in full when {?Print} = "Yes" or as a drilldown report when the result was "No."

-LB

Thank for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I don't get quite understand what you would have me do.

My report has 3 levels: 1) Summary; 2) Currency; 3) Instruments. By default only the summary is displayed. The user can optionally drill-down into Currencies and, from there, optionally drill-down into a specific currency's instruments.

Levels 1 and 2 are group headers; level 3 is a detail section. In the Section Expert, levels 2 and 3 are tagged as "hide (drill-down ok)".

How are you proposing that I change this so that I can optionally display all sections fully expanded if I am printing?

I'm not sure I can be much more specific. First go into the field explorer->parameter->New and create a parmater called "Print", of string datatyps, and with two options, "Yes" and "No". Then, for Group #2 and the details section, in the section expert, remove the check mark on "Hide (drill-down-OK)".

Then still in the section expert, select Group #2 ->suppress->x+2 and enter:

if {?Print} = "No" then
drilldowngrouplevel = 0

Then select Details->suppress->x+2 and enter:

if {?Print} = "No" then
drilldowngrouplevel <= 1

If you still are having trouble, you will need to be specific about what the issue is.

-LB

LB,

OK. This sort of works but is not quite what I want. I am trying to understand how/why this suggestion works and, once I do that, I'm sure I can get to where I need to go.

If I use a formula for section suppressing, then the section will either be suppressed or it won't, depending on the boolean result of the formula. Using your suggestion, why do the sections become drillable and not just suppressed?

I looked up DrillDownLevel and that is documented as returning the current level of drill-down in a drill-down view. How is it working in your formula?

I apoligize if I am being obtuse but I can't figure out how your solution works.

Thanks.

...Jake

Did you try this? If you use drilldowngrouplevel in the suppress->conditional formula on the section, you will be able to drill down.

-LB

Yes, I did try this. But can you please explain WHY this works. Why is it drillable if I am putting a formula in a "suppress" checkbox? Is it drillable by default? I expected that, unless I say "Hide (drill-down ok)", it will be fully expanded and not drillable. So why does your technique work?

The drilldowngrouplevel function, used in a conditional formula, makes the section suppression behave like "Hide".

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back