Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedotch

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
I have a Linksys WRT54G router. At first we used wireless but now have disabled it--to slow. All computers LAN. I have DSL connnected. Have 3 computers running the same program from one file. I want to add more computers, Linksys does not recommend using two routers together. Besides I can't get them to connect anyway. What is a switch? If I buy a 16 port switch can my computers still access the enternet? Do I need something extra for this. I don't know a lot about networking.

Thanks Scott

Thanks,
If I use a switch. Do I just plug the two together leaving my router in the network for my DSL? Or will I do away with my router. Would this one work SRW224P made by Linksys.

That switch will certainly work, but it might be more than you need at the moment. It is a managed switch that offers quite a few configuration options. Yes, the router will stay in place & you will connect one of the lan ports (or uplink port if applicable) to the new switch. If your router has an uplink port, use that & a straight through cable to the switch.

Thank You so much for your help. I thought that switch might be a bit much, but the boss is willing to spend what ever it takes to get the job done. If I do regress to a lessor model how about this one SD216? Will this switch be configurable by some one like me who knows very little about networking? I do know some from reading. Thank you for that article about routers, switches and hubs.

Thanks Again Scott

Hi Scott

For basic connectivity all you will need to configure on the switch will be the IP address, subnet mask and gateway IP address. Instructions should come with your switch on doing this.
Not sure about the model of switch you are looking at I dont use linksys

Nogs

Thank you all for your help. I ordered the Linksys SD216 switch. Plugged my router into one port the four computers in, and wa-la it worked without doing anything. I did run into some IP address conflicts so I just specfied the addresses that the router had already given them and all seems to be working. Is it OK to do the address like that?

Thanks Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back