Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding Disk Drives on HP-UX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2005
US
Hello all, I'm looking for tools or a method for expanding a volume on a unix-based hard drive. Let me explain what I'm talking about: I have a physical hard drive that's 150 gigs. Currently, I'm only using 50 gigs of it. It's attached to a SAN. I would like to expand the drive to 75 Gigs. The method I'm currently using calls for me to create a new volume, thus wiping out the data that's already there. I'm pretty sure there's a way I can expand a drive without losing my data. Anyone?

A discussion is ONE topic. A conversation is MANY topics.....

the keyword are "lvm" and "fsadm"; with the lvm you can expand the the disk itself, with the fsadm you can expand the filesystem (if you are using vxfs online version this will work without unmounts)

Do you have a hp IT Resource Center account? Check the "HP-UX Software Recovery Handbook". This contains some procedures you will need

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

what LVM are you using? what filesystem type?

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back