Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding Array for NT Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

Your insights would be appreciated. We have a Compaq Proliant 2500 that is near capacity. RAID 5 3 4.3 GB with 1 logical drive. We have 1 GB C drive that is the FAT drive and 7 GB NTFS. We need to extend the C drive as it is near Max and also extend the D Drive (NTFS Vol). What are my options do you think? Can I create a E Drive and move the Boot to the new drive? I have been told it is not a good idea, or risky. I have also been told extending the C and D drive is quite a cumbersome and somewhat risky task as well. What do you think is the best route to take

thanks everyone!

Hi,

Well I would have said that you should be able to just expand the array and create an E: drive like you said. Then copy the C: drive to the E: drive and just modify the boot.ini. Although I have never actually tried this but I would have thought it would work. I would just add a line to the boot.ini so that if it doesn't you can always go back to the original version.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back