Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanded a LUN but having issues accessing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrellm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2009
US
We currently have a 1TB drive on our Windows 2003 Server, that we've been using for a while. We needed additional space, so I decided on expanding that drive with a 2TB space on our AX150. Once it expanded, I reassigned it back to the server, but the server doesn't see it as one logical volume. It shows the original 1TB, and the new TB, which is fine, I can deal with having two drives. The 1TB is still intact, however the problem is that Windows won't let me access the new 2TB drive in Disk Management. I won't let me assign a drive letter, nor did the "Intialize Disk" wizard show up. What am I doing wrong? I did reboot a few times. Do I need to reverse what I did, and how can I?

Just discovered the answer, I just needed to right click on the DISK6 on in Disk Management and select Covert to Dynamic Disk, once I did that I could expand and select the other drive in Windows. So, basically had to tell Windows to expand it, even though I expanded it on the SAN.

hi,
this is a way, but you have changed the type of volume.

When you have a LUN on a storage, it is a Logical disk,
and on it you build a NTFS partition (sometime whole, otherwise, 2 or more).

When you increase LUN size, using SAN tools, is as when you,
using Ghost, copy your 10gb partition from a 10gb hd to a 20GB Hard disk:
if you do just this, yu'll see on the new disk, 10 unused GB

Just using diskpart or 3rd part tools, after a sure backup, you can increase the no-dynamic partition from 10 to 20gb and see 10gb disk free.

ciao
vittorio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back