Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expand/Extend Logical Drive DL380 G2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuy555

Vendor
Aug 24, 2008
Hey guys,
Found a quote on another thread by SPI200 in November '06 that says: "Once complete then using the HP ACU "Expand" the array which will allow the controller to take up the additional space which you have now installed (new drives). Follow this you then need to "Extend" the array into this new space - just take the defaults if you want the lot allocated."
When I try to "Expand" the array it tells me "This array cannot be expanded because there are no unassigned physical drives available."
My current config in Array A physically is: 4) 36.4GB HDD, IDs 0 - 3. Logically: 34719MB, RAID 1+0, Logical Drive 1, 69471MB unused space.
I want to Extend and Expand the 34.7MB into the 69.5 of unused space. How do I do this without loosing my data?
PS. I now have 2 of my old 18.2GB drives in slots 4 & 5 ready for use.
Any help would be great. I'm almost there I think.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Kevin,
Because you're running RAID 1+0 and still running only 4 disks, you don't need to expand the array. If you were adding more physical disks (not just changing out the ones you already have) then you would need to do the expansion step.

What you need to do now is extend the logical volume. I think you have to do that from the SmartStart CD. I'm pretty sure the ACU utility that's installed on Windows won't allow it, but you can check. Make sure you have a good backup, if not more than one.

Thanks for the info. The Compaq ACU installed on Windows does offer me the option to extend the logical volume. I was just concerned that it might dump my data. Is the SmartStart version of ACU different from what I have installed on the server?
I will format the 2 old drives that I have installed in the last slots and use them to back everthing on the new drives. What is the best way to insure that I have everything, including Boot Record?
Looking forward to your reply.
Kevin

The Smart Start allows you to make changes because the hard drives are not mounted.

Burt

Kevin,
I would just download the latest version of the SmartStart CD available for your server and use that.

Blister911, you're amazing! :)
I was going to look for that last night but it was very late and I was very tired. You made my job a lot easier.
Thank you again.
Kevin
Have a great weekend!

Hey,
Just wanted everyone to know that I created that bootable SmartStart CD, ran it, extended my drives into the new space and you guys rock! Everything came out alright :)
Thank each and everyone for your input. This thread is complete!
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back