Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exmerge PST File Size limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Does anyone know if using Exmerge to export my mailboxes to PST files uses the same file limit restrictions as Outlook PST files?

I am going to perform a new SBS 2k3 server install to replace an SBS 2k server and need to export mail but I'm concerned about the large mailboxes over 2GB.

Yes, exmerge is subject to a maximum of 2GB per PST.
You can exmerge to multiple PST files for larger mailboxes using criteria.

If you are going to replace the server, use the Ed Crowley method then you don't need to worry about exmerge and you won't need to regenerate all of your Outlook profiles either.

You'll either have to export to multiple PSTs or use movemailbox.

I figured on the 2GB limit. I"m not interested in doing a migration method with this server. It is too messed up and I don't want anything to migrate over.

I just went ahead and did it the old fashioned way. It didn't take that long. Maybe MS will fix the file size limit on exmerge in 07.

By fix, I mean change the data file format to match that of the Office 2k3,2k7 format that allows for 20 GB PST files instead of 2GB.

The dll theat contains the calls to support a given pst format is mspst.dll. The version that ships with OL2K3 contains additional new calls to support unicode PSTs. In order to use the new dll, the application would have to be rewritten to make the new calls.

There are import and export cmdlets starting in SP1.

If you defrag your mail stores, or defrag the mailboxes by moving them to a different storage group, you may get back some of the space from the mailboxes thereby decreasing their size before your conversion.

Good Luck!

Mailboxes have a specific size, defragging the mail store will not reduce the mailbox size.

Movemailbox on the other hand....

If you move all the mailboxes off one store to a new store, all the items are fully promoted to the edb. If you then dismount and delete the old store, you have effectively truncated the STM file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back