Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exmerge intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeleneP

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
US
We upgraded from 5.5 to 2003 earlier this year and have been using exmerge create pst's to be backed up. However, it has started to become intermittent. I assumed it was a permissions issue and that something had changed but now I'm very confused. The account seems to have all appropriate rights and will one night back up all accounts without a problem but the next night it will come back with the MSEMS "Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)" message.

I ran it manually this morning on 1 box and it did complete on 1 mailbox but not the rest.

I have 3 servers and it works fine on 1 (although we have to use mailboxes.txt), sometimes on another and only the first storage group on the 3rd all with the same account. Up until a couple of weeks ago it was working fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

Exmerge to PST isn't really the most appropriate nightly backup mechanism - why not use an online Exchange backup, this is how the product was designed to be backed up (then it will handle all your transaction log management for you).

Hi, we do a full backup as well. This is an extra security thing more than anything. I just don't understand what's happening. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Hm. Not sure why doing an ExMerge every night buys you extra security (I'd have though it's a security breach myself, as it saves off an insecure plaintext copy of every mailbox's content somewhere on the file store), but that's your issue.

Have you tried googling the error message? It brings up shed-loads of hits, many of which have lots of suggestions to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back