Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exmerge : Error creating Message Service (MSEMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheh1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
MY
Winnt 4.0 Workstation. Exchange 5.5 Sp 3. Outlook 2000.
I am trying to run Exmerge on my Windows NT 4.0 workstations. I have Exchange Administrator and Outlook 2000 installed on my PC. At the end of the exmerge execution, there was an error message in the exmerge.log as follows :

Error creating Message Service (MSEMS)

From Microsoft's KB, it was pointed out that Exchange Client must be installed.

Where do I get this Exchange client if Outlook 2000 is not what the Exmerge requires ? I have two Exchange server 5.5 CDs that are labeled as Exchange Server and Exchange server service pack 3. Searching for the client in those CDs didn't help. Do I miss any of the folders ? Where else can I get Exchange Client ?

In the first place I am hoping the Exchange client would resolve the problem that I have with Exmerge or perhaps somebody else successfully run it using other alternative than Exchange client and Outlook 2000. (outlook 98 ? e.t.c)

I am answering my question after I manage to do some workarounds with the problem. Perhaps when others read this thread, might be able to find some tips.

Well, according to the document I read, we could run the exmerge within our on pc provided the Exchange Admin and Exchange client are installed in that PC. I have Outlook 2000 installed in my PC and running exmerge yield that error.

Instead of running it on the PC, I run exmerge on the exchange server itself after installing windows messaging that come with Windows NT and this time, the application run with no complaint.

Did you look at the Exmerge log? If so any errors? Were you logged in as the Service Account? We actually say not to put Outlook on a Server and I never have to use Exmerge.

Different implementations of MAPI cause problems. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back