Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exit VB6 application 'hangs' pc (W98)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickDavies

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
GB
Hi,
Can anyone help please.
I have some applications developed with vb6(sp3), compiled and packaged on W98. These work perfectly on W95 and W98 but 'crash' W98 machine after terminating the application.
(W95 is ok). The crash 'freezes' the pc but displays what seems to be the outline of the immediate window.
This only happens if I'm updating data or using a grid.
Data is Access database (link to Foxpro table).
Thanks
Dick D

Exceptionally difficult to diagnose from afar. However, first a few questions:

1. Are you sure all workstations have the same packaged version?
2. Has the App been uninstalled/reinstalled from the problem pc without incident?
3. Has it always occurred on the problem pc? If so, are there any programs on it that could be causing a conflict?
4. What type of Grid are you using? DataGrid, DBGrid or FlexGrid?
5. Does the user of the problem pc have network access to the Database/tables in question?
6. If the programmer was really thorough, he/she might have created a *.log file that would document the Err.Number and Err.Description along with what point in the execution the error took place. Find out if one exists.

I've had similar situations before, but not due to the causes you described. I've found that usually going through the above list (or taking similar steps) almost always helps determine the root cause.

Expanding on my problem :
1. All have same packaged version - my pc (Win98) is the
only development platform.
2. Problem occurs on my pc and the only other W98 pc.
3. Can't trap the error as it doesn't show until after
exit from the app. On the 2nd W98 pc the error has
occurred without running the app ???
4. Because all is fine on W95 pc's I'm wondering if
problem is with one of the dll files.
5. The grid problem may be a 'red herring' - the problem
always arises after update of recordset(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back