Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exit Checklist Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittytech

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US
I work in a small shop of about 40 people. There are 2 IT people - my boss and I. (We have 6 servers.)

My boss is considering leaving to start a new business. I don't know how long the company will let the position go unfilled if things are running smoothly (budget, economy, etc.) I don't have the qualifications to successfully fill that position, but, I will have to "hold down the fort" until a replacement is hired.

Here's the question: Is there a checklist for the things that my boss needs to leave with upper management?

I'm not talking about hardware per say, but stuff like admin passwords, etc., the things that would make the transition easier for the new boss...

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi. Hopefully your boss isn't leaving under the kind of circumstances which would cause him/her to consider not letting on about the types of things which might cause the company grief?

That being so, the answer seems to me to be all about the quality of documentation left behind, including the type of 'walk under a bus' (odd that - I've used that twice in two days *mental note - must be careful on way home this evening*) documentation which allows systems to be maintained until another qualified person can be found. As you rightly point out this would naturally include things like password lists, but also the nitty-gritty aspects of the job which might cause grief. Documentation's not the easiest or most popular of jobs, but it IS a necessity in a transition arrangement.

Just interested - will you be content to just 'hold the fort' rather than command it? After all, if you don't ask you won't get. Good luck in any case.

I have 1 certification: A+ and I've only been in the IT field for about 3 yrs.
Would you want me in command if it were your fort?

I'm working on Network+ & Server+ but I still have a long way to go.

Hey - when you've got your friends at Tek-Tips what are you worrying about? ;-)

You are SO right - what was I thinking????

If I offended anyone I am sorry.

p.s. Nice dodge of the question.....[bigglasses]

In all honesty, if you're the right type of person, I'd take you over someone with certifications coming out their ears. What's the right type of person? Someone who thinks hard, works hard, is honest, persistent, and will look out for the business's best interests.

If you take your work seriously and you're willing to do what it takes to get the job done, go ahead and ask. If you're confident/competent enough to hold down the fort, it's not necessarily a huge leap to commanding it. Just make sure you know your limitations, be frank about them, and know when (and where) to ask for help.

You'll likely find it tremendously challenging, rewarding, and educational. You'll learn the Network+ and Server+ material much faster with hands-on experience than you will from a book.

Just my opinion....

Don

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence. I guess I'm from the old school - I don't mind working hard. When I have a problem I check the manual(s), the website FAQs & Knowledge base, forums, etc.. If it's something simple - I fix it. If it's something I'm not sure of -I bring the info to the boss, explain the problem, explain the solution per my research and get direction from there. The only server responsibilities I have are: I reboot once a week & change out backup tapes everyday.

It's nice to know that there are IT managers out there that don't mind teaching and/or mentoring newbies like myself.[yoda]

Agreed with dwmatteson!

Its not about tons of years of experience. It is about maybe a couple years of good experience, a great work ethic, and a desire to learn and keep pace (or faster) with this changing environment.

I know a lot of people with 25+ years of computer management experience (way before Al Gore invented the internet) that wouldn't do a good job at all managing a small company like yours.

Strangely I am in the same position as you, except I am the only IT guy in a 40 person company, and I am leaving to get an MBA.

A little background... I am 24 year old IT Manager. I've been an IT manager for 4 years for several small companies (mostly ASPs) with dozens of servers. I find myself looking at resumes and interviewing people with over 3 times (in terms of years) the computer experience that I do, but no brains, no will to do it. Its quite discouraging.

Ask for the job if you think you can do it, and I am sure they will give it to you. This is a golden opportunity for you!

You can always hire someone underneath to help out with the workload.

Eric Bertrand
SciTegic, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back