Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhcange errors caused by Win2K DNS errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevos

MIS
May 31, 2001
AU
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me: (Im pretty sure this is a DNS issue). We have currently been making many changes to our setup and DNS, etc, and seemed to have retained a very strange problem. Im not sure if it is exchange or windows. When email attempt is made to send from outlook on the mail server only (either internal or external) it sits in the outbox and is not sent. However, sending from any other PC on our network is fine.

I did have a similar issue on one machine, but pointing it to our DNS server worked fine. However, these entries are correct for the server, and the Mail server is also our DNS server. Further, when the netlogon service starts on this server, then a message comes up saying that it could not find a DNS server to update to. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem might be.

Any ideas would be most apprectiated.
Regards,
Steve

I would double check the DNS settings for the TCP/IP configuration. I had a similar problem with that being the cause. IP addresses can get easily botched. So for example, I had a machine called Server1 that was the DNS server and was at ip address 192.168.0.10. The DNS server option in Server1's TCP/IP configuration was pointing to the non-existent 192.16.80.10 and caused a serious problem. For some reason(and probably a good one) the server doesn't look for a local DNS server on itself as a last resort.
Good luck.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that help, but I have checked it and its all fine. Its definitely the address of the server, so i cant understand why it still has the problem. An NSLOOKUP of any local network host also works fine, and yet the error still appears in Netlogon in event viewer. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Please post the error from the event viewer.

Hi there,

The message is:
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error:
No DNS servers configured for local system.

And the event id was 5782, source: netlogon. I used to get this message every two hours or whenever i restart netlogon, however, i just tried to restart it and no error, so it may be all sorted out. However, i still cant send email (intra or inter-organisation), and am having the same problem with outlook.

If anyone still has any ideas, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back