Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhange Setup Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

zshuford

Technical User
Jun 20, 2006
US
OK, I'm a complete newbie with Exchange, but as a "power user" I figured setting up an Exchange server wouldn't be too difficult (I for instance run an Apache server at home, so I have some experience).

We have Windows Small Business Server 2003 running on a new box along with Exchange 2003. Now, I can go to the server and look on the company intranet web page that's set up by default and see the server. I can even set up a non-Outlook mail client to pull the mail down by PoP.

But, I can't get my Outlook to connect with the server. When I go to my Mail control pannel and add a new connection, I put in the IP address of the server and the mailbox name. It changed the raw IP address to blah.blah.local when I hit check Name. So it obviously found the server, but after that it can't ever pull down any mail or anything.

Additonally, if I start out by putting blah.blah.local in, instead of the raw IP, it doesn't find the server.

I believe the problem is that we're not using the Server as an internet gateway, like the setup assumes. We have an office full of laptops, so they connect to our wireless router, and the server plugs into that router as well. Since it's not functioning as our DNS, blah.blah.local doesn't resolve to the Exchange Server.

Now, all that being said, I have exactly no idea how to fix this so it does. Can anyone give me some tips?

Bah, ignore this. A question, when properly asked, contains its own solution. That was true in this case, I realized I just needed to change my DNS to the server's raw IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back