Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

executing scripts from scripts causing hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naith

Programmer
May 14, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have 7 scripts running back to back, each executing the next and passing a variable as each script comes to an end.

9 times out of 10, as the 3rd script tries to execute the 4th script, the process just hangs indefinitely. (The 3rd script is doing an insert, and then a multiple update of the inserted values, and the 4th script is taking these updated values and inserting into a second table).

If I terminate the transaction, and manually execute the 4th script, passing in the same variable, the script runs in about two or three minutes.

Why is the process hanging when it's automated? What can I do to overcome it?

Thanks

You need to look at the locking and blocking which is going on while the scripts are running.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back